Sunday, July 17, 2011

Volunteering in ER: "Say I don't know"

Make sure to say "I don't know what that this?" If an EM Tech, nurse or doctor ask you to get something you truly don't know what it is, then don't guess! They will show you later on and train you. In a pinch, you must be able to get it right away. Better to err on the side of caution that be overly cocky and leave them hanging.

This will be a big strike against you if you return 15 minutes later with the wrong thing....no,no,no..don't do it.

An experienced EMT applauded me when things got crazy with a patient crashing with low blood pressure and asked me to grab supplies outside the room but I didn't know what it was. The patient had a heart problem and would have had a serious blood pressure drop while I was searching for the item he asked for. The EMT in the room went out to get it. After stabilizing the patient, the EMT showed me later on what and where the needed supplies were.

No comments:

Post a Comment