Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Personal Challenge

Up all night, two days in a row studying math and still struggling with it.

I have come to realize that Math is a real challenge for me. It needs to be explained in very clear and systematic terms (which it hasn't been). My personal learning style does not match my teacher at all, nor are we using a quality textbook. Everything is short and few examples exist that really "spell out" what needs to be done. The exercise problems at the chapter end do not match the examples shown in the prior pages.

Studied for 5 hours banging my head only getting 1-out-of-20 problems correct. I have an exam tomorrow.
This is a marathon, not a race. This MATH challenge with me is a big area I have to put 115% effort into to learn it thoroughly in my own way. I am an 80% visual learner and the plug and play, or substitution methods of Calculus simply dont make sense to me. If you present it to me using a graph I can do very well with interpreting it, but the haphazard problem solving style that my prof and textbook present the material is surface level at best for my learning style. I need a higher level teacher and work daily with a dedicated tutor to master this material. I know I can do it in the long run, it will be a long haul.I must make analytical math my friend and nail it even if it means taking every math class twice. I'm just going to do the best I can, stay healthy and have a good attitude about it and move on......keep learning about myself and be a camelion to adapt to my lack-luster learning environment right now. Each day, I'm realizing that my learning standards are much higher than what are offered at my school. We just dont have enough tutors or professor office hours to go around given the budget cuts. I really want to transfer to a better organized school. Looking into it.
I must adapt to survive and thrive.

Adapt or die.....this is educational evolution, practicing the biology I know.


No comments:

Post a Comment