Friday, March 16, 2012

New Favorite Quotations

Noticing my personal bias on following research topics worldwide, I have turned toward reading about some great mathematicians to get me through calculus (the bane of my existence currently) to get some inspiration and context why I need to learn it. Reading about great mathematicians of the past I'm gaining more context to to the importance of calculus and it is starting to take hold. Some quotations from these great have peaked my interest:

"It is not knowledge, but the act of learning, ... which grants the greatest enjoyment. When I have clarified and exhausted a subject, then I turn away from it, in order to go into darkness again ..."..Gauss (great mathematician)...prowling new challenges 

Poisson once said "Life is good for only two things, discovering mathematics and teaching mathematics." 

My modified version:  "Life is good for only two things, discovering medicine and teaching medicine."

Great mathematicians:
   http://fabpedigree.com/james/mathmen.htm#Gauss

No comments:

Post a Comment